Thursday, January 19, 2017

Customs - 01 - What Is Customs




Customs

Session 01 – What Is Customs?

Romans 12:2Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. NLT



Bad Fruit

  • •• Often when traveling across international borders a traveler will be asked if he “has any fresh fruit or meat.”
  • •• The welcoming country does not want “bad fruit” or “bad meat” to enter for fear of disease, or worse, death.
  • •• Sometimes even after coming to Christ, we have some “bad fruit” in our lives that may consist of false theology, unfaithfulness or just not knowing what the Word of God says about a specific issue.  Those attitudes and actions can keep us from crossing “borders” in leadership and limit our effectiveness in the Body of Christ
  • •• This class is designed to root around, to look deep into who we are and assist us in “declaring” any “bad fruit” we might have


A Custom Is . . .

(As defined by Merriam Webster’s Dictionary)

 . . .a usage or practice common to many or to a particular place or class or habitual with an individual 

. . .long-established practice considered as unwritten law 

. . .repeated practice 

. . . duties, tolls, or imposts imposed by the sovereign law of a country 

    • •• If a person desires to become a leader, there is a price to be paid. This class is just a bare bones beginning to  a lifelong journey ofdiscipleship –learning/growing in Christ  ourselves and teaching others what we have learned as well as acting out what we say we believe


A usage or practice common to many or to a particular place or habitual with an individual . . .

    • •• Simply put, our customs are the culture of our Church
    • •• This is what we do and how we do it -  how we act and how we expect those around us to act
    • •• Our customs are what is normal for us & what others can expect from us 
    • •• There is a set Biblical pattern for how Christians should behave, when we act like Christ taught us, we draw others to Him
    • •• Every Church has a “personality” whether good or bad.  If not guided and intentional, a personality may develop that is NOT Christ-like and offend rather than draw, Customs Class is an intentional development of culture in the life of a maturing Christian 
    • •• Good habits can be taught, learned and repeated
    • •• The focus is inward, what I am doing rather than what I see others doing, I choose to be an example to those around me so that as I grow closer to Christ others will follow



A long established practice considered as an unwritten law . . .

  • •• Our customs are norms, not exceptions – this is what you can expect from me, and from our team
  • •• Standards of holiness, accountability, and faithfulness that we practice everyday, in both public and private
  • •• Consistency begats stability – stability begats comfort – comfort begats love
    • •• When I know what to expect I can be comfortable
    • •• When I become comfortable with a Church, ministry or person I may come to love it/them
    • •• When I love something, I tend to become a part of what I love
    • •• Love casts out fear.  Some choose to not serve Christ or in the Body of Christ because of the lack of Christ-like consistency seen, or worse, they have seen Christians consistently acting exactly opposite of what Christ taught


A repeated practice . . .

  • •• Customs are not just what I say I do, but what I really do on a regular basis
  • •• What you see when you meet me Sunday morning is what you see and get wherever and whenever you meet me
  • •• My lifestyle will not be of one who “does” ministry, but of one who “is” ministry


Duties, tolls, or imposts imposed by the sovereign law of a country . . .

  • •• Since we are citizens of God’s Kingdom, our customs and culture should come from Him/His Word
  • •• The cost for entering His Country, His Kingdom, His Calling may be that we must lay some things down; rid our lives, hearts and thoughts from “bad fruit” 
  • •• God is Sovereign and holds each member of His Kingdom to the same standard of holiness, attitude, faithfulness and accountability


No comments:

Post a Comment

2026.06.10 - Notes On Fasting

  1.       Revelation a.       I Wonder Why They Hate Me So Much                                 i.           Esther 3:6  And he thought sco...