Psalm 51:1
Psalms 51:1Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. KJV
Friday, November 12, 2021
3:20 PM
· Have mercy on me . . .
In even this David confesses his guilt before God. He knows what he has done and knows where this puts him in his standing with God, and man.
· According to they lovingkindness
o THY - not like men do I ask for mercy, I ask for mercy from God, Who forgives! Who REALLY forgive
· Multitude of thy tender mercies
o Which are new every morning
o There is more than one "mercy"
· Abundance, common, many more in number
· To multiply by the myriad
· Ten thousands
§ Maybe this was not the first time David fell, nor the last, but he knew His God, he knew his heart was not right and asked God to also fix his heart, he knew that this would not be the first nor the last time he would need to come before his Great God for mercy, for fixing what he alone had broken
· Blot out my transgressions
o Erase
o Abolish
o Utterly wipe away
Psalm 51:2
Psalms 51:2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. KJV
Friday, November 12, 2021
3:29 PM
·
Transgressions, Iniquity, Sin
Trinity, Triune man
Friday, November 12, 2021
3:32 PM
1. Transgressions -
a. OT:6588 pesha` (peh'-shah); from OT:6586; a revolt (national, moral or religious): KJV - rebellion, sin, transgression, trespass.
i. Rebellion is done by knowing there is a standard or boundary and mindfully going against what is right
1. Knowing the boundary is there and crossing it willingly
2. Iniquity -
a. OT:5771 `avon (aw-vone'); or `avown (2 Kings 7:9; Psalms 51:5 [OT:7]) (aw-vone'); from OT:5753; perversity, i.e. (moral) evil: KJV - fault, iniquity, mischeif, punishment (of iniquity), sin.
i. Things that I have inside me that are against The Character of Who God is
ii. Things that I say, do, think or am that are not like God
3. Sin -
a. OT:2403 chatta'ah (khat-taw-aw'); or chatta'th (khat-tawth'); from OT:2398; an offence (sometimes habitual sinfulness), and its penalty, occasion, sacrifice, or expiation; also (concretely) an offender: KJV - punishment (of sin), purifying (-fication for sin), sin (-ner, offering).
i. OT:2398 chata' (khaw-taw'); a primitive root; properly, to miss; hence (figuratively and generally) to sin; by inference, to forfeit, lack, expiate, repent, (causatively) lead astray, condemn: KJV - bear the blame, cleanse, commit [sin], by fault, harm he hath done, loss, miss, (make) offend (-er), offer for sin, purge, purify (self), make reconciliation, (cause, make) sin (-ful, -ness), trespass.
Psalm 51:3
Psalms 51:3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me KJV
Friday, November 12, 2021
3:48 PM
1. Transgressions -
a. David was admitting there was more than one instance in his life that needed attention
2. My sin is ever before me -
a. Perhaps there are hounds of heaven and hounds of hell
i. Psalm 23 speaks of the mercy and grace of God following David all the days of his life, and I have heard that equated with the hounds of heaven, well here is the opposite of that.
ii. I cannot escape my guild, my shame will follow me to the farthest reaches
1. Likely because I remain, while somewhat removed because of my sin, in the Presence of a holy God. His mercy and grace are there because He is well aware that they are needed, now I am aware that they are needed and call to Him
Psalm 51:4
Psalms 51:4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest. KJV
Friday, November 12, 2021
4:00 PM
1. Against thee -
No comments:
Post a Comment