Saturday, November 20, 2021

2021.11.21 - Time For A Change

John 14:1-6

John 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. 4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know. 5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way? 6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way , the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. KJV

·       Jesus was speaking on believing, both in God and in Him. He was making a comment but also making a command – His command was for those who were following Him to “let not your heart be troubled”

·       Jesus was clear that He had no intent to leave those who follow Him where they were, but rather for them to come where He was at, to follow Him.  This was exactly how He called several of them, just found them sitting and called to them to “follow me”

·       Look at who He is speaking to directly, Thomas – 

o   Who had his own share of doubts

o   Thomas walked in flesh and thought in horizontal lines, having trouble getting past what he knew to be real, solid and tried

 

Thomas 

Only mentioned in Matthew, Mark and Luke to include his name in the list of apostles 

 

It is likely that he suffered the most with the “human condition” He was just a man like the rest.

John 11:16 – let us go that we may die with him 

 

John 14:5 – we don’t know where you are going, how are we to know how to get there?

 

John 20:24 he was not with the disciples when Jesus first showed them His hands and His sides – but later Jesus came to him and his response was “My Lord and my God

 

John 21:3 goes fishing w/ Peter

 

Acts 1:13 he was there in the upper room at the time of Pentecost

 

David 

1 Samuel 13:14 & Acts 13:22 – a man after God’s own heart

Sinned with Bathsheba 

 

Murdered her husband

 

Repented when Nathan told him he was the man, (not in a good way)

 

 

  • Jesus is The Way - I can either get in the way or out of the way.  I can get in the way in such a way that I am in the way.  I can stop His moving me forward, I can thwart His blessings in my life due to my stubborn pride and arroagance or I can get in line with Him and FOLLOW Him.  
    • The way means A WAY - through the complexities of this life, out of the pit that I have dug for myself and far from the dust and broken dreams of yesterday 

 

I can either be a victim of my past or victorious in spite of it!

 

I can either look at my experiences as "how bad the world can be" or as "how Good my God is"

 

I may not be able to control what happens in my life but I Can control how I allow it to affect me and move me forward.  I can move forward with my past tied around my neck as a drowning weight or shoot forward in a victorious fury as I release myself from it's grasp as an arrow from a bow - the choice is all mine, and honestly, I make the choice often, perhaps even daily.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2026.06.10 - Notes On Fasting

  1.       Revelation a.       I Wonder Why They Hate Me So Much                                 i.           Esther 3:6  And he thought sco...