Hebrews 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. KJV
I. Weight
a. We think we can handle it – we can’t
b. We cannot control sin once it is loosed – but with God we can control US and keep us bound –
i. Bound to holiness
ii. Bound to doing the right things
iii. Bound to pleasing God and not ourselves
· It may seem that there is no way out - but rest assured it only seems that way.
· God is Master of making a way where there seems to be now way.
· He works best in the realm of impossible!!
What Do We Choose Over God?
II. Joshua 7:21 When I saw among the spoils a goodly Babylonish garment, and two hundred shekels of silver, and a wedge of gold of fifty shekels weight, then I coveted them, and took them; and, behold, they are hid in the earth in the midst of my tent, and the silver under it. KJV
a. Achan chose
i. A garment over God
ii. Silver over his family & all those around him
iii. Gold over his holiness and integrity
III. Less Than God
a. Anything that is less than God – IS LESS THAN GOD!
b. Anything that takes more of me, my time etc is my idol
i. What am I bowing down to?
IV. Results of Sin
a. Separated from God
b. Could Not Stand Before Enemies
i. Joshua 7:12 Therefore the children of Israel could not stand before their enemies, but turned their backs before their enemies, because they were accursed: neither will I be with you any more, except ye destroy th e accursed from among you. KJV
b. Loss of faith when I need it most
II. Joshua 7:5 And the men of Ai smote of them about thirty and six men: for they chased them from before the gate even unto Shebarim, and smote them in the going down: wherefore the hearts of the people melted, and became as water.KJV
III. Joshua 7:7 And Joshua said, Alas, O Lord GOD, wherefore hast thou at all brought this people over Jordan, to deliver us into the hand of the Amorites, to destroy us? would to God we had been content, and dwelt on the other side Jordan! KJV
Sin Sight
· When I am far from God I see the faults of others – when I am closer to God I see and work on my own faults!
Crowd Of Witnesses
IV. Moses
a. Refused to be called son of Pharoahs daughter
b. Had respect of the reward of righteousness
c. Forsook the things of Egypt
d. Endured the process of leading Israel out of Egypt
e. Was baptized in the Red Sea and crossed over!
V. Jesus
a. Had a choice
VI. Lucifer
a. Free moral agent
b. Had a choice
c. Fell from Gods presence
Is there anything at all that is keeping you from God?
No comments:
Post a Comment